Prompt, Attentive And Caring Family Law Attorney

Understanding Post-Judgment Modifications, Removals And Relocations

Last updated on May 14, 2020

No matter how comprehensive an existing family court order is at the conclusion of a divorce, changes in circumstances can arise to make the judgment unworkable. The loss of a job, a new opportunity requiring you to move, changes in the needs of your child, and many other life’s twists and turns may require you to return to family court to modify a family court order.

Working Hard To Obtain Optimal Results In Post-Judgment Matters

At The Law Offices of Jesse V. Barrientes, based in Wheaton, we are as passionate about helping people solve problems when changes arise as we are about guiding people through the initial divorce. As in every family law matter we handle, the best interests of our clients are our top priority. We listen attentively to men and women who turn to us for help due to a post-judgment change in circumstances. With a thorough understanding of your new circumstances, we will explain your legal options to craft real-world solutions to your new family law/life challenges.

Recent changes in Illinois law make it more important than ever to seek the assistance of a family law attorney if you need to move. Relocations now require parents to provide notice if they plan to move 25 miles or more from their current residence.

Most terms that have been resolved in a family law judgment cannot be changed after the divorce is finalized. However, courts retain jurisdiction to modify certain aspects of a judgment if a significant change in circumstances arises after the judgment is entered, such as:

  • Child custody and visitation matters
  • Child support obligations
  • Spousal support, often referred to as alimony or spousal maintenance
  • Relocations, commonly called move-away situations or removals

Meet With A Trusted Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer To Learn More

To request a free consultation with a trusted family law modification lawyer, call 630-923-6595 or send us a brief message using the online contact form. We represent men and women throughout Grundy County, DuPage County, Kane County, Will County, Kendall County, Cook County and the surrounding areas.